Share feedback, ideas and get community help

N
P
B
N
B

New tabs loading time is often a bit slow, can the UX be improved?

Last updated 7 days ago
B
Baptiste Arnaud

I believe you are using Next.js RSC. I think it would feel so much faster if the page content change instantaneously on user click and you'd show loading placeholders

N
B
B
1 commentΒ·7 replies
N
Nathan Hur

Yup agreed, we'll get to it shortly, thanks!

N
Nathan Hur

@Baptiste Arnaud we ended up trying out placeholders but replaced it with a top progress bar for slower pages (it was also a good time to do some backend performance improvements). The thinking was that we'd want the first render β€” without javascript β€” to have most of the content rendered. Keen to hear your thoughts!

B
Baptiste Arnaud

I honestly can't see any difference, nor can I see a progress bar ! πŸ€”

N
Nathan Hur

It's a subtle line at the top of the app for slower pages, I suppose we could reduce the delay it has before appearing as well

B
Baptiste Arnaud

Maybe a tiny bit faster?

B
Brad

This sounds like a good idea, but I don't see it in Safari. Is it broken? Scratch that, it was because my header color background and the progress bar was the same color.

Oh seeing the bar now, that is much much better as it provides direct feedback on user click. πŸ‘Œ

B
Brad

Ohhh the new colour looks great, and the UX feels much better with getting instant feedback that the page is loading. πŸ‘πŸ‘